Bernina Express Train/Bus
This panoramic train connects the north of Europe to its south – right through the UNESCO World Heritage site of Rhaetian Railway, passing by glaciers on its way down to palm trees.
Crossing the Alps in the Bernina Express certainly is one of the most spectacular ways to do it. Along the way, the Bernina Express rolls Hollywood-style over the 65-metre-high Landwasser Viaduct, the signature structure of the Rhaetian Railway and the UNESCO World Heritage site. Altogether the train passes through 55 tunnels and over 196 bridges on its way from Chur to Tirano. Travellers are treated to marvellous sights during their journey, like the Montebello curve with a view of the Bernina massif, the Morteratsch glacier, the three lakes Lej Pitschen, Lej Nair and Lago Bianco, the Alp Grüm and the Brusio Circular Viaduct. In summer, the journey can be extended from Tirano to Lugano aboard the Bernina Express Bus.
Fresh mountain air and stunning views from the Albula and Bernina rail lines: In the Summer, open panorama coaches are available on the Bernina Express between Davos Platz and Tirano. The glass-free Cabrio coaches bring you closer to nature. And let you take perfect photos of the breathtaking scenery!
The Bernina Express also runs from Landquart to Tirano.
Facts Bernina Express (train)
Route: St. Moritz / Chur – Tirano (Italy) or vice versa
Distance: 156 km
Duration: 4 h 13 min
Facts Bernina Express Bus
Route: Tirano (Italy) – Lugano or vice versa
Distance: 90 km
– Arosa Railway – from Chur to Arosa within one hour. On just 26 km, the train negotiates an amazing 1000 m in altitude
– Railway Museum Albula – over 600 exhibits from more than 100 years of railway history, e.g. one of the last «Crocodile»-Locomotives
– Gandria – a picturesque little town at the foot of Monte Bré
– Monte San Salvatore – one of the most beautiful scenic outposts along Lake Lugano
– Palm Express – rich-in-contrast, roughly four-hour postbus drive from Lugano to St. Moritz
Food & Beverages
– The Bernina Express minibar offers delicious snacks and refreshing beverages
– The train does not feature a dining car. The guests spend their lunchtime in the Italian town of Tirano
Apart from a valid ticket, a seat reservation is required (max. 90 days in advance). In addition, the train and bus are subject to surcharge
Time required: 4 to 8 hours (full day)
Suitable for children with age: 0 to 5 years, 6 to 9 years, 10 to 13 years, 14+ years
Suitable for: Children, Families, Groups, Individual, Couples
Action / Fun factor: Hoch
Accessible: Partially wheelchair accessible
- Rates are different for Part Journey and Full Jounrey of train.
- Train Seat Reservation is Mandatory, and can be done additionally.
- Any services which are not mentioned in train tour inclusions, are excluded.